The Orangeburg Fire Department Volunteers have been very busy.
Friday, March 23, 2012
An oven fire on Chief Billy Harris Way rattled some nerves as this street is dedicated to the Emergency Volunteer First Responders (only one in NYS) so we knew it was one of our own. Thankfully the fire was contained to the oven and after a few minutes of removing the smoke from the house the volunteers were heading back to the fire house.
Another call that startled several volunteers was an automatic alarm at the Holiday Inn at 2:45 AM. The detectors did their job as the fire department was alerted to an overheated elevator motor. The motor started to produce hot thick smoke but the detector got the volunteers there in time to prevent any serious damage. The travelers were back in their rooms within 30 minutes.
Later in the day the volunteers were summoned to Cortwood Village - our Senior Citizen Complex. This time a table lamp had malfunctioned and started to burn. The resident of the apartment was taken to Nyack Hospital as a precautionary measure as she had breathed some smoke.
Lastly the volunteers were called to a brush fire on Route 303 by Mountainview Avenue. The volunteers gained access to this fire from Route 303 and Mountainview Avenue.