Friday, March 23, 2012
An oven fire on Chief Billy Harris Way rattled some nerves as this street is dedicated to the Emergency Volunteer First Responders (only one in NYS) so we knew it was one of our own. Thankfully the fire was contained to the oven and after a few minutes of removing the smoke from the house the volunteers were heading back to the fire house.
Another call that startled several volunteers was an automatic alarm at the Holiday Inn at 2:45 AM. The detectors did their job as the fire department was alerted to an overheated elevator motor. The motor started to produce hot thick smoke but the detector got the volunteers there in time to prevent any serious damage. The travelers were back in their rooms within 30 minutes.
Later in the day the volunteers were summoned to Cortwood Village - our Senior Citizen Complex. This time a table lamp had malfunctioned and started to burn. The resident of the apartment was taken to Nyack Hospital as a precautionary measure as she had breathed some smoke.
Lastly the volunteers were called to a brush fire on Route 303 by Mountainview Avenue. The volunteers gained access to this fire from Route 303 and Mountainview Avenue.
Friday, March 23, 2012
On Sunday night, March 18th, 2012, the volunteer firefighters from Orangeburg lead the Orangetown Fire Departments in welcoming the TZHS Basketball Team back to Orangeburg. The basketball players finished second in NY State. As the bus came off the NYS Thruway (game was in Glenn Falls) they were met by Sheriff Lou Falco and were escorted to the high school. As the bus carrying the players came onto Bataan Road the fire departments turned on their lights, sirens and air horns. It was a grand entrance back to TZHS and well deserved. Congratulations to the basketball team, the high school and the Town. We appreciate our neighboring departments in helping us welcome them back - Blauvelt, Piermont, Tappan and Sparkill.
11-1 Chief Chris Jackson
11-2 Asst Chief Neil Lynady
11-3 Asst Chief Pete Byrne
Saturday, March 10, 2012
On Thursday evening, March 1st and then again on Sunday morning, March 5th, the volunteers had a great training experience at Marion Hall located at STAC. STAC had reached out to the Sparkill VFD to allow them to use the building for some intense training prior to demolishing the building. Saprkill offered the building to use for use as well. On Thursday evening the volunteers practiced VES (Vent, Entry, Search) techniques, forcible entry and advancing hand lines to the upper floors. Sunday morning the volunteers practiced forcible entry and entry to the building via the tower ladder. In all the volunteers spent about six hours of hands on training. This unique experience increased our knowledge tremendously and gave excellent exposure to our newer firefighters. We appreciate STAC for allowing the use of the building by the fire service and especially to the Sparkill VFD for inviting us to join with them on this rare opportunity.